Friday 15 July 2016

Witness - Part Two

Alibi
STATEMENT
of
Peter Steinman, ID No.5D38064.

This statement is true to the best of my knowledge and belief, and I make it in the knowledge that I may be prosecuted if it contains any false information.

            Name:  Peter Steinman                                                Date: 11 March 2016

On the evening of 10 March, I took a short cut through Grove Park on my way home from work at the central fish market. At the north-east end of the park, I saw a group of men sitting around a fire, listening to a tall man in a long coat. I had never seen them before, but stopped to listen to what he was saying out of curiosity. I couldn’t hear clearly so I got closer, and was invited by one of the men sitting on the ground to join them. 
I listened for a while, but wasn’t impressed by what I heard. As I started to get up to leave, a red-haired man came out of the trees surrounding the clearing and approached the tall man. After he greeted him, policemen entered the clearing and stopped anyone from leaving. The tall man was arrested.
I explained that I was just a bystander and showed the police officer who detained me my ID and work pass. He said I would have to come to the station to give a statement.
I was put in a police van along with nine or ten others, but the tall man was handcuffed and put into a police car. I didn’t see him again. No-one spoke in the van, but several exchanged worried looks.
At the police station, I repeated that I did not know the tall man, that I had nothing to do with the gathering and that I was just a passer-by. I explained what I had heard, but could not give any information about the name of the group or their apparent goals.


After signing this statement, and giving his full contact details, the witness was advised that he may be called upon to testify at any future trial and was allowed to return to his residence. He was released unconditionally at approximately 09.35 hours on 12 March 2016. 

Magda’s Journal: 29 March
Jimmy came to visit today. I didn’t have anything to offer him but he was fine with that. I could make up for it later, he said. He was messing about with something in the kitchen. No idea what. There’s no food in the house.
 He left a package on the table for me. I know what’s in it. How could I not? I’m trying to pretend it’s not there, but it keeps pulling me back with its promise of sweet emptiness and an end to the pain. I’ve bitten my lip raw trying to resist. I don’t know how much longer I can hold out – or if I even want to.



(This is Part Two of a modern parable in six parts. Click here for Part One.)

No comments:

Post a Comment